Chiesa di Santa Lucia

Chiesa di Santa Lucia

Chiesa di Santa Lucia
La chiesa di Santa Lucia venne fondata, in epoca imprecisata, lungo il percorso dell’antica via Clodia Nova, a poca distanza dall’ingresso del castello e dell’ubicazione della primitiva Pieve dei SS.Giovanni e Cassiano. Al tempo del Marchesato di Matilde di Canossa, questa piccola chiesa, aveva annesso anche un monastero, sottoposto all’Abbazia di Frassinoro, privilegio che l’Imperatore Federico Barbarossa, nel 1164, riconfermerà a Willelmo allora abate di Frassinoro L’attuale struttura ad una navata, venne realizzata probabilmente intorno al XII secolo, ma a causa di un terremoto nel 1721 fu necessario ristrutturarla e furono ricostruite parti del paramento murario. All’interno dell’edificio si conserva una scultura lignea policroma raffigurante Santa Lucia del XVI secolo.

Church of Saint Lucy
The Church of Saint Lucy, whose date of foundation is unknown, was built along the route of the ancient via Clodia Nova, not far from the entrance of the castle and from the original Parish Church of the Saints John and Cassian. At the time of the Marquessate of Matilda of Tuscany, next to this small church there was a cloister, under the control of the Abbey of Frassinoro, a privilege that the then Emperor Frederick Barbarossa confirmed again in 1164 to Wilhelm, the abbot of Frassinoro at the time. The current aisleless structure was probably built around the 12th century, but it was renovated after an earthquake in 1721 and some parts of the external walls were reconstructed. Inside the church is a polychrome wooden sculpture of the 16th century representing Saint Lucy.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.